There’s never a good time to be sick, to be waiting in an emergency room, or preparing for an operation. But if you are going to need the attention of a primary care doctor, someone to mend a broken arm, or the services of a surgeon, the Upper Valley is not a bad place to be.
Not counting the Veterans Administration hospital in White River Junction, Vermont, the greater Upper Valley area has five regional hospitals that can provide for nearly all of your family’s medical needs. On rare occasions, patients in the area will need to seek help from specialists at Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston. But those scenarios are truly few and far between.
One glance at the Upper Valley’s major medical facilities, and you’ll see why.
- Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center (DHMC) is the largest and most comprehensive hospital in the Upper Valley. It's home to more than 1,000 primary care doctors, and specialists in nearly all aspects of medicine can be found on the premises as well. A teaching hospital, DHMC trains hundreds of residents and fellows every year. The hospital has a robust research program and was named one of the “100 Great Hospitals in America” by Becker’s Hospital Review. DHMC has four affiliate hospitals, plus the Norris Cotton Cancer Center and the Children’s Hospital at Dartmouth-Hitchcock. DHMC is located off Route 120 in Lebanon, New Hampshire.
- Alice Peck Day Memorial Hospital (APD), on Mascoma Street, in Lebanon, New Hampshire, started out as a “cottage hospital” in 1932. Today, it sees more than 90,000 patients a year and welcomes around 300 babies into the world as well. APD’s services include an Immediate Care Center, a Women’s Care Center, the Robert A. Mesropian Center for Community Care, a new Multi-Specialty Clinic, and both assisted and independent living facilities for seniors.
- New London Hospital (NLH) serves the Kearsarge area of the Upper Valley with an emergency room, primary care, specialized clinics, and a 25-bed critical access hospital. Medical departments include everything from pediatrics to pain management. Surgical services include neurosurgery, plastic surgery, and orthopedics. An affiliate of Dartmouth-Hitchcock, NLH is located at 273 County Road in New London, New Hampshire.
- Valley Regional Healthcare (VRH), at 243 Elm Street in Claremont, New Hampshire, provides every hospital patient with a private suite, restaurant style food service, and a staff-to-patient ratio of 1:5. VRH’s associated facilities include two family practices in Claremont, one in Newport, New Hampshire, an orthopedics center in Claremont, and outpatient services in Newport.
- Mt. Ascutney Hospital (MAH) is a critical access facility serving residents of Windsor and Woodstock, Vermont, and those in the surrounding area. An affiliate of Dartmouth-Hitchcock, MAH has the Upper Valley’s most advanced inpatient rehabilitation center, and also offers a healing arts clinic for complementary and alternative medicine practitioners. Primary and specialty services are provided at the MAH campus at 289 County Road in Windsor and at the Ottaquechee Health Center at 32 Pleasant Street in Woodstock.