Golfers in the Upper Valley never need much of an excuse to spend time on the greens. The slightest hint of warm weather brings them out in droves in early spring, and they stay out there driving, chipping, and putting until their fingers freeze in late October or early November.
But just in case any of you avid golfers need a little extra inspiration this season, we’ve put together a list of charity golf tournaments scheduled to take place around the Upper Valley this summer and fall. If there’s an easier, more enjoyable way to support a worthy cause, we haven’t heard of it yet!
- June 10. The Children’s Hospital at Dartmouth-Hitchcock (CHaD) gets the charity golf season off to an early start with its annual CHaD Classic Golf Tournament at the Quechee Club, in Quechee, Vermont. Located in Lebanon, New Hampshire, CHaD is one of more than 200 hospitals in the United States that provides medical care specifically for children. But it is the only such hospital in the state of New Hampshire, making it a true local gem.
- July 22. Next up on the calendar is the annual Relay for Life Tournament, scheduled to take place at the Claremont Country Club, in Claremont, New Hampshire. Your time spent from 1 p.m. to 6 p.m. on this 9-hole course, nestled in the shadows of Mount Ascutney and the Green Mountain, will raise money for the American Cancer Society.
- July 25. The Lebanon, New Hampshire, police department hosts a charity golf tournament every year to raise funds for its Child Health & Community Programs. The money raised allows the department to assist nonprofit organizations, support local schools, provide training for school resource officers, and purchase free giveaways that can be distributed during public relations events throughout the year. This year’s tournament is set to take place at the lovely Lake Morey Resort, in Fairlee, Vermont.
- August 23. The views from atop the beautiful Montcalm Golf Club, in Enfield, New Hampshire, are some of the most stunning in the state. So why not enjoy that lovely scenery while you play golf and support one of the Upper Valley’s preeminent nonprofit organizations? The Upper Valley Haven, which provides shelter, food, clothing, and an array of support services to the area’s homeless men, women, and children, hosts its ninth annual tournament at the award-winning Montcalm this year.
- September 9. We close out the charity golf season in the Upper Valley with the 21st Annual David’s House Golf Tournament, slated to take place this year at Eastman Golf Links, in Grantham, New Hampshire. Since 1986, David’s House, in Lebanon, New Hampshire, has provided a free home-away-from home for more than 14,000 families seeking life-saving medical care for their children. That’s worth a round of golf, isn’t it?